Skip to main content

Easter Egg Decorating

Angie bought the boys some Easter Egg decorating kits, so we decided to use the dyes last night.  Each pack also came with "extra" decorations: Jason picked the "monster pack" which came with pipe cleaners (for arms), "hair", and stickers for eyes, noses and mouths; Dillon picked the Star Wars pack, which came with Star Wars "tattoos" for the eggs; and Adrian picked a regular dye pack with no "extras."  Angie started the process before I joined in.  Each of the kids had one container in front of them, so Angie let them each pick a dye color.  They all chose blue.  So instead of starting off with three different color options, we had blue across the board.

Angie had placed large pieces of tissue paper on the table (three layers), but that turned out to be insufficient.  The table ended up getting dyed more than the eggs.  At one point, I knocked one of the blue containers over!  So in order to start getting more color options out for the kids, I grabbed a bunch of coffee cups and let them drop the tablets into each one.  So now we had purple, pink, yellow, orange, green, red, blue, etc.  Once we had the process going, this part wasn't so bad.  We even had a "marble" effect where you add 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the dye mixture and drop the egg into two different colors.  Those turned out pretty good.

We made them wait until this morning to apply the extra decorations (stickers, tattoos, etc.), so the eggs would be completely dry.  Of course, the stickers are a pain in the ass, and I can't even get the stinkin' tattoos to work AT ALL.  I mean, they're ridiculous; I've tried everything to make them stick but they're worthless. And I feel bad for Dillon because he was really looking forward to putting them on the eggs.  And of course we've already thrown away the "instructions" that came with the Star Wars pack (although I don't recall seeing any instructions on how to apply the tattoos).  The trash bag is already outside and has been rained on for hours, so I ain't dumpster diving for something that may not help me anyway.  Jason's "monster pack" came with a little tube of glue to apply the pipe cleaners and the "hair", but the glue is horrible and doesn't even hold the pipe cleaners in place.

Verdict: total waste of time and money, in my opinion. Next time, we dye the eggs a color and we'll let the kids "paint" them with paintbrushes or something.  Or we can go with no egg dying at all; PLASTIC EGGS ONLY!  ;-)


Carrin said…
We did the monster eggs this year too. The glue was worthless!

Popular posts from this blog

2005 Chrysler Town & Country Sliding Door Fix

Our driver's side power sliding door has been acting up over the past year or so.  When you press the button inside the van or use the remote key chain fob to open the door, it will usually only open a few inches and then quit.  When it first started happening it would open pretty far and then quit, so I squirted some WD-40 inside the tracks thinking that something was blocking it.  That actually seemed to buy us some time because it started working again after that.  Over the past few months, though, the door was basically not powered anymore.  It would occasionally open about 2 inches and then stop.  Once open, it wouldn't even attempt to close when you pressed the button.  And if you manually closed the door, you really had to slam it because the motor wasn't taking over to close it all the way (you'll know what I'm talking about if you have one of these). A side effect of this problem was that our power door locks also stopped working within the past two days

Bring Your Kids to Work Day

Philadelphia!! Adrian and Cameron in the city...


Last year (July 2014) I took the PCI Professional online course and passed the exam at a Pearson VUE testing center in Mt. Laurel, NJ.  This year I had to take the PCI-Internal Security Assessor course because it became a requirement at my place of employment.  This past Friday I passed the exam at Pearson VUE so I am now a certified PCI-ISA, and I still hold my PCI Professional title as well.  The PCI-ISA certification lasts only one year, so I'll have to re-certify each year, but the PCI-P certification lasts three years. I felt that these two tests had a lot of overlap, so if you already have the PCI-P certification I would highly recommend going for the PCI-ISA certification if your company is a PCI participating organization and will sponsor you.  The PCI-ISA certification is only valid as long as you work for the sponsoring company.  So if I quit tomorrow or get laid off, I lose the PCI-ISA cert. If you are taking the PCI-ISA course now and are getting ready to take the e