Skip to main content

iPod Battery

I own a 5th Generation iPod Video (30GB model) that I bought at least 3 years ago (Christmas gift to myself). Over the past few months I've noticed that the battery lasts about 5 minutes and then conks out - even after being charged for hours. My brother had told me his started doing this months ago (his iPod is about a year older than mine).

It's not such a big deal if I'm in the car because I can plug it in, but the whole point of the thing is to be "mobile" with it. And right now, I can listen to about a song and a half before it quits, which isn't so great.

So I had read an article in a computer magazine (geek alert!) that said you can either send your iPod back to Apple and have them replace it (for about $70), or you can order a kit and do it yourself for about $10. I figured for $10, it was worth the risk. If I broke the thing, I'd just have to buy a newer, better one. :-)

Well, I got the kit today in the mail (I ordered it through an eBay auction for $11 with shipping). I had a little difficulty with getting the case apart, but then I checked out a YouTube video on how to open the case (using the tools that came with the kit) and it was pretty simple. You basically just pry it apart by pressing in the little plastic clips inside using the "pry tool."

Once it was open, I disconnected the old battery, pried it loose from the metal case (it was stuck in place with some paste), removed it, popped the new one in, connected its ribbon cable, and popped the case back together. I turned on the iPod and it powered right up! Of course, the battery icon showed that it was almost dead, so I hooked it up to the charger (they recommend a full 3 hour charge to fully power up the battery).

We'll see how it goes tomorrow. I'll be happy if I can get 10-12 hours out of the thing again. I've got a trip to Denver coming up in May and I gotta have my iPod fully functional for the flight!

Comments

R said…
Hope it works out. Definitely keep me posted because I'll probably need to do the same thing soon.
irepair said…
The ipod battery can begin exhibiting less charge after approximately 16 months. Although this battery life can be extended through proper maintenance and usage, they will all eventually need replaced. Luckily, there are many great options available via the internet.

Popular posts from this blog

2005 Chrysler Town & Country Sliding Door Fix

Our driver's side power sliding door has been acting up over the past year or so.  When you press the button inside the van or use the remote key chain fob to open the door, it will usually only open a few inches and then quit.  When it first started happening it would open pretty far and then quit, so I squirted some WD-40 inside the tracks thinking that something was blocking it.  That actually seemed to buy us some time because it started working again after that.  Over the past few months, though, the door was basically not powered anymore.  It would occasionally open about 2 inches and then stop.  Once open, it wouldn't even attempt to close when you pressed the button.  And if you manually closed the door, you really had to slam it because the motor wasn't taking over to close it all the way (you'll know what I'm talking about if you have one of these). A side effect of this problem was that our power door locks also stopped working within the past two days

Camping Trip

Boy Scout camping trip to Bass River State Park. This was near the end of our 7.6 mile hike. That is Lake Absegami in the background. That's Dillon, Jason, and Adrian.

Bring Your Kids to Work Day

Philadelphia!! Adrian and Cameron in the city...